flag image

Spencer Agriculture

Pate: Need to 'invest in these kids'


Special ed, ESL at core of campaign



0621Pate
shadow
LeAnn Pate. (click for larger version)
June 20, 2012
SOUTHBRIDGE — On the surface, School Committee candidate LeAnn Pate is hyper-focused on special education, largely because her autistic son is having issues winding his way through the process of getting an education in that system.

But she sees very similar issues among those in other minorities, especially those struggling to learn English.

"We're not a rich community, so when the minority is the majority, those are the people you're representing," Pate said, noting about 20 percent are in some form of special education and around 40 percent are in ESL. "That's 60 percent of the students. The other 40 percent get exactly what they need to get their education. … If we don't invest in these kids now, we'll pay for it later, and it'll be more expensive later."

For more on this story, please see tomorrow's Southbridge Evening News.

StonebridgePress
inclusion image
inclusion image
  • Health 2018
  • Home 2018
  • Meet 2018
Thanks for visiting Stonebridge Press and Villager Newspapers

Spencer Agriculture