flag image

A helping hand in the midst of the storm

Community unites to help family after house fire

The Chabot family’s 59 Clarke Road home was destroyed from the inside by a fire on Oct. 30. Soon thereafter, a fund was set up to assist the family. Adam T. Silva. (click for larger version)
November 09, 2011
STURBRIDGE — Tammy Chabot has participated in countless efforts to assist people in need.

Now it is the community's turn to rally together and return the favor.

Chabot's 59 Clark Road house was destroyed by a fire last Sunday, Oct. 30, just one day after the massive snowstorm paralyzed much of New England. Although sections of the exterior structure of the house were determined to not have been totally compromised, most of the contents inside — including toys, clothing, food, books, and several items of considerable sentimental value — were ruined.

Chabot and her husband, Chris, as well as their two children, were not injured during the fire, which started after they went to sleep at 10 p.m. on Oct. 30. Chabot said they woke up around midnight after a smoke alarm sounded, and the house was quickly filling with smoke. Because the power was still out, it was difficult for them to ascertain where the smoke was coming from.

For more on this story, please see tomorrow's Southbridge Evening News.

inclusion image
inclusion image
Thanks for visiting Stonebridge Press and Villager Newspapers