DPW appointment now unlikely
September 28, 2009
SOUTHBRIDGE — By week's end, the Town Council will decide whether to hire its embattled candidate for the Department of Public Works director job.
Town Manager Christopher Clark, after Monday's Town Council meeting, said he is still reviewing information he received on the whether the candidate, Toma Duhani, had provided questionable information in his application packet.
Town Council Chairman Steven Lazo, who pulled Duhani's scheduled appointment from Monday's agenda after learning of the issue last week, said he thinks Duhani won't be confirmed.
"I don't think it is going to happen," he said.
If appointed, Duhani, of Shrewsbury, would replace former DPW Director Kenneth Kalinowski, who resigned earlier this year to take another job in Pepperell. Interim DPW Director Hamer Clarke has been filling in on a part-time basis.
The officials' comments came in response to the town receiving information last week about Duhani's prior work experience. Clark confirmed Monday that Duhani left off his resume his prior employment as the town engineer in Charlton. According to archived media reports, Duhani was hired in Charlton on Aug. 23, 2001. Duhani no longer works for Charlton.
For more on this story, please see tomorrow's Southbridge Evening News.