Races taking form in town elections
Six eye three seats on Council so far
April 04, 2010
SOUTHBRIDGE — It is still early in the town election season, but races are already heating up.
With nomination papers now available, six people have taken out papers for the three three-year town council seats up for grabs at this year's Tuesday, June 29 election.
Ronald Proulx, who ran for a seat the past two seasons, said he will likely run again. He said he plans to seek support by calling, "at the last minute," the 1,200 residents who voted last year.
"I'm going to see if I can't get some support," he said last week. "Maybe that will get my chances going."
Another familiar face from last year, Stephanie DeMartino, said she also plans to seek a seat. The 40-year-old information technology specialist said she is running to bring fresh ideas to the town government.
"I want to see this town prosper and grow," she said. "I still feel I would make a good solid candidate."
Former Town Councilor Robert King has taken out papers, but reached last week, he said he has not decided whether to run.
All of the incumbents whose seats are up have also taken out papers. Town Councilor Conrad Vandal said he is running again and, if re-elected, plans to work to rein in spending, including costs for town employees.
"Salaries are getting outrageous," he said.
Vandal said he also wants to keep taxes from inching up.
Town Councilor Pamela Regis said she is still weighing whether she will seek another term, since she has to balance that with a full-time job and other commitments.
"I will have plenty to say," she said, if she decides to run again.
See Tuesday's Southbridge Evening News for complete coverage of community news.