flag image

Couple in a Haiti waiting game


News of family sparse as local aid efforts sparked



0120yvesandgracieneriche
shadow
Yves and Graciene Riche are still seeking solid information about the well-being of family members who were vacationing in Haiti when the Jan. 14 earthquake decimated the Hispanola country. Gus Steeves. (click for larger version)
January 18, 2010
SOUTHBRIDGE — For Yves and Graciene Riche, even knowing several relatives are alive in Haiti has only slightly diminished the worry.

"They went to Haiti a few weeks ago for vacation," Graciene said. "All should have come back last week, when it happened."

"It," of course, is the magnitude 7 earthquake that shattered that already-poor Caribbean nation last Tuesday, leaving the capital and other places in ruins and maybe as many as 200,000 dead.

Shortly after hearing the news, the Riches tried without success to contact people down there, eventually calling this newspaper for ideas on how to reach them. Their son called shortly thereafter, but they've had no contact since, they said.

"They were hurt, but not seriously. Nobody died," she said.

"I don't know how the situation is now, how they're managing in Haiti," Yves added. "I'm not sure where they are. We watch TV and don't see them on the news."

See Wednesday's Southbridge Evening News for complete coverage of community news.

Mexicali Mexican Grill
Stonebridge press
CountryBank
inclusion image
inclusion image
inclusion image
Thanks for visiting Stonebridge Press and Villager Newspapers