RMV staff 'take stock'
Kaprielian defends hearing decision
December 08, 2009
SOUTHBRIDGE — Registrar of Motor Vehicles Rachel Kaprielian is defending her agency's decision to send only a note-taker to a Monday hearing about moving the Southbridge RMV branch to Charlton.
"They were there to recognize the point," Kaprielian said during a telephone interview with the Southbridge Evening News. "They were there for a presence," and to "take stock."
State Rep. Geraldo Alicea, D-Charlton, who worked to schedule the hearing, said Kaprielian told him Friday that she did not know whether should would attend but that somebody would go to "participate in the hearing," and not just take notes.
The registrar, who did not attend the hearing at Southbridge Town Hall, maintained that she was never personally invited to go, and dithered on whether she would have if she received on invite. At one point, she suggested running the RMV kept her too busy because there was "no shortage" of work to do. Soon after saying that, she said: "If I were invited I would have attended."
Kaprielian said she was later briefed on the hearing
The Joint Committee on Transportation's public hearing Monday afternoon to discuss two proposed bills, which Alicea filed, relating to the RMV. One would establish hearing process for any future closures, while the other would require another hearing to discuss the closing of the Southbridge branch earlier this year. In August, the agency opened a branch in Charlton at the 5-East service area.