flag image

RMV staying in region


No plans for closure despite cuts


November 08, 2009
The state Registry of Motor Vehicles has ruled out closing the Charlton branch despite a recent loss of millions in budget cuts.

"The RMV does not have any plans to close the Charlton branch at this time. If the RMV incurs any additional budget cuts, then all existing branch locations will need to be evaluated," Registrar Rachel Kaprielian said through a spokesman last week.

Kaprielian's words come as the agency learned it would lose $3.9 million in Gov. Deval Patrick's latest round of budget cuts announced last month. The RMV's budget is now about $38 million.

Separately, state Rep. Geraldo Alicea, D-Charlton, said he is aiming to hold a hearing near to Thanksgiving about the closing of the Southbridge branch. Earlier, the RMV opened a branch off the Mass Pike in Charlton. No date for the hearing has been set and Alicea acknowledged it could be delayed until December.

Alicea earlier this year filed a bill that would require the agency to hold a hearing about the closing, which he wants to have in his district.

"I think that one actually is a very good bill because it does affect communities," Alicea said. "This is something we need to address quickly."

Alicea said the hearing would also discuss two other bills he filed that would require the agency have a branch in Southbridge as well as provide 60 days notice of any future branch closings.

For more on this story, please turn to Monday's Southbridge Evening News.

Stonebridge press
inclusion image
inclusion image
inclusion image
Thanks for visiting Stonebridge Press and Villager Newspapers